Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Arts in Human Development - Creative Practice - Week 6


For my week 6 creative practice blog, I have learned how to make a basket as a developmentally appropriate product for someone who is in adulthood.  Since I am in the adult stage of development; established in a career, family life and under the age of 60 years old, I decided to create a product that I would enjoy.  Being a potter, familiar with vessel forms, I have always been intrigued with basketry but never had the opportunity to learn how to make them.   I have for a very long time wanted to make basket vessels and have often thought simple basketry and weaving would be a good tool on my art cart for adults.  Last week in Jamaica, I met an artist who makes baskets. He had a sign that said, “Learn to make a basket”.  I was so excited for this opportunity to finally get to learn how to make a basket, and be able to use it for my patient bedside art.  So I let him know I would love to make one. He grabbed a chair for me to sit next to him and began to teach me how to make a basket.  This was a very special time of creating and sharing artist to artist.  He taught me all about how he prepares the “five finger vines”, how to start, weave and finish a basket. We sat together for a while making baskets and visiting.  He shared about being an art teacher and his culture.  I shared with him about my arts in medicine studies and practice. 

  

When we were finished I purchased some of his baskets for future basketry ideas since I could now look at the baskets and know how to make them.  He gave me a start to another basket so I would remember how to start them and also gave me a rolled bundle of the vines to complete it later at home. 


Later, just for more fun, I decided to add color to my basket using crayons and working with the natural weaved design of the basket. 

Learning how to finally make baskets brought a feeling of fulfillment in my adult stage of life. I am looking forward to exploring creating baskets of different sizes and shapes out of a variety of materials. Basketry can be appropriate for all the adulthood groups; ages 25-35 who are in an established career but don't have a family, or moms with small children.  I have been showing my basket to many of the mother’s of the young children I teach and my adult friends of various ages. With excitement they have said, “You made that basket, I would love to learn how to make a basket”. My response, “I would love to teach you, it is so much fun”.


No comments:

Post a Comment