Monday, November 2, 2015

Arts and Compassion

Creative Practice Week 2      

             For my creative practice blog week 2, I chose to listen to my mom who is still alive at 85 and write a poem from our conversations. I talk every night on the phone to my mom, my closest dearest friend, to check on her since she lives alone in her home in Oregon while I am in Arizona. This week’s prompt and learning materials had me questioning after all these years talking to her each night; do I take the time to really listen to her? Do I let her tell me her story each day? So I decided to focus on listening as an act of love toward my mom each night, letting her do most of the talking and I transcribed our conversations for 6 straight days.

            Here is some background on my mom: she is 85 years old, lives alone in her home since my dad died five years ago, has typical illnesses for her age, manages an online bookstore with over 3000 books, recently stopped driving and hired a caregiver to drive her around two times a week. She is aging in place, very well!
Alive at Eighty Five
Day 1
At eighty-five it’s good to be alive
no matter how hard it is.
I may have glaucoma, at least that’s what they say
eye drops prescribed.
I’m still going to fight.
It’s just one more thing for one more day.
I used to be afraid of using my walker
but it helps me to get around.
Used to be embarrassed; not now.
Day 2
I stir up memories of a trip to Texas.
My sight may be dimming
but reflections still remain relatively clear.
Another day another pill
more drops for my eyes.
Substitute caregiver drives me to the doctor
I found out my blood thinner’s too high.
Sold 6 books on the worldwide web
lots of things to do I’m tired.
Day 3
My daughter Linda came over to take me to the bank
I’m going to update my will.
But the bank told me it says I can’t move money without her.
I like the nice bank manager
he caught the glitch
now it’s back to the way things were.
Looking forward to tomorrow cause its errand day
I’ve got 5 more books to package up
when my ride arrives I’m on my way.
Day 4
Penny my regular caregiver came to pick me up
she genuinely cares about me.
Penny drives me to the post office and all over the place.
This running around is exhausting
but at least I’m moving
I don’t have any issues going at Penny’s pace.
I’m hungry now but can’t decide what to eat.
I’m tired but so is Penny
she seems worse off than me.
Day 5
I’m sleepy I was awake most of the night.
The smoke alarm kept chirping in my ear
my daughter Linda took it down but left the ladder in the hall.
She says I don’t do anything with my life
I should get out more.
That leaves me a little depressed and appalled.
I’m not going to listen to her advice.
She wants me put up in a nursing home
at my age I just need to be around people that are nice.
Day 6
Spring forward, fall back I forgot about that
I’m confused at what time it is.
The lawyer got my will worked out but no one explained.
This rain is relentless.
The cul-de-sac started to flood
but the drain was fixed when the neighbor came.
“Trick or Treat” I heard at my door from a cute little kid in a hat.
I love the kids and I love my home
I’m glad to be in my own home for that!
            
                   This week’s learning materials and assignments has brought immediate positive outcomes through a deeper awareness and understanding of how to listen as an act of love and compassion toward my family, friends and patients Taking the time to really listen, ask the right questions and genuinely care is effectively helping develop these valuable relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment