Monday, February 10, 2014

Professional Seminar - Creative Practice - 3

“Angel of Serenity” has all its parts; water, leaves on wings and hair, so it is now time for me to sculpt. Basically I need to go around every part and sculpt it until it looks just right. Some reflections while I was adding the different parts were on how quickly the rings I made went on to the body of the angel to represent the water. However the small leaves that I cut out with a tiny leaf cookie cutter out of a thin slab were slow and tedious to make. While pounding the clay really thin to cut out the leaves I noticed how my hand marks made a natural impression on the clay that looked like the print on a real leaf. This reminded me of other times when I recognized how when creating with clay I catch a glimpse of how the actual object in nature was created.

I also noticed how I was in a hurry to try to make the leaves quickly so I could get them onto the wings and move onto sculpting. I was reminded that when real leaves were created that each one was slowly and carefully made just right. I could feel how I needed to slow down so I could embrace the creative process, not just for the leaves but for every aspect of the creation of the angel. So I slowed down and really began to embrace the process and began to bond with creating the angel of serenity. While in the flow of bedside patient art I realized how easy it is for me to embrace the creative process, but in my own creative experience, I was in hurry and rushing through the creative process trying to make the most of my time. The creative flow, embracing the process is just as important in my self-care as it is in my practice.

While embracing the process I started to place the leaves onto the body and onto the wings. It felt like I was placing a covering, clothing onto the angel. This reminded me of how leaves are a covering on trees, and how they were used to cover Adam and Eve for clothing in the Garden of Eden. I also reflected on how leaves and feathers look alike and are both coverings.

The pictures are of a test pinch pot I created out of the same clay the angel is created from. I plan to fire and glaze the angel in my own kiln using my underglazes that I am familiar with, so it was necessary to test the clay with my underglazes, glazes and fire in my own kiln. My shell pinch pot test turned out good, so now I know how to finish the angel. The other pictures are of the angel getting ready for its final sculpting, and then it will dry out and be fired and glazed.





No comments:

Post a Comment